Carbury Castle , Co Kildare – Ireland
The motte on the hill was probably built by Meiler FitzHenry. The central scenic focus of Carbury Hill is the ruins of the Tudor mansion of the Colleys, which was also known as Fairy Hill. who was granted the area by Strongbow.
It was acquired by the de Berminghams in the 14th century, from whom it passed by inheritance to the Preston family, who held the title Baron Gormanston, before being taken by the native Irish in the 15th century.
From 23 October 1554 a 21-year lease was granted to Sir Henry Colley (the patrilineal ancestor of the Dukes of Wellington) this was renewed, and the Colley family built a large stronghouse on the hilltop in the 17th century, now a ruin. – ( Wikipedia )
Credit to : Michael O’Reilly